From a carpentry shop to a furniture joinery. 100 years of Wiesner-Hager furniture.
The Wiesner-Hager company dates back to 1849, the year when Josef Wiesner opened up a carpentry shop. Rudolf Wiesner and Sebastian Hager took over the business in 1921. They created a second leg for the company to stand on by setting up a furniture joinery in the course of a conversion. However, their precise reasons for choosing to specialise in furniture production are not completely known. Was it strategic foresight, a spontaneous idea or just simple coincidence? Only a later statement made by Theresia Wiesner gives an insight into the decision taken at that time: “There had already been a joinery workshop during the First World War which had mainly dealt with kitting out barracks, but it needed orders. So it seemed like a good idea to add a furniture joinery to the business.”
At the start, the focus was on making simple folding chairs for cinemas and garden furniture. Even so, initial plans to export furniture had already been drawn up by the mid-1920s. Before long, an order came in for a large consignment of furniture to England. Understandably enough, this was a great cause for celebration. From 1928 to 1930, an English trading company organised the dispatch of 144,000 items of Wiesner-Hager garden furniture. Some ended up as deckchairs on passenger liners, while others were shipped to various English colonies, especially to India.
To be continued...